*Due to the current BC Public Health Order, all of our classes and lessons are on hold. To join our Waitlist, please follow this link.*
Newbie Night is for members and non-members who want to work in a fun, supervised environment in the hot shop or at the flameworking table. (“Supervised” means we keep you and others near you safe; there’s no teaching.) Also, it’s not just for newbies! Experienced members who want to work in a supportive group environment are welcome.
You must provide your own glass. Follow this link for a list of glass suppliers.
Every Other Friday / 6:30-10:30 pm (or by appointment)
You must have some glassblowing experience. Eligible experience includes completion of one of the following:
1. 36 hours of instruction at TCGC. This can be achieved through one of the following:
- 2 x Glassblowing 6-Week course (36 hours group instruction)
- 1 x Glassblowing 6-Week course + 1 x Intro to Glassblowing Weekend Workshop + 1 Private Lesson (30 hours group instruction + 4 hours one-on-one), or
- 4 x Private Lessons (16 hours one-on-one instruction)
2. Equivalent experience in another studio. Please contact us to discuss your experience and options.)
Be prepared to explain your experience to the Newbie Night supervisor.
Do not work under the influence of alcohol or drugs. If you appear intoxicated the Newbie Night supervisor will ask you to stop working.
Two benches are available each Newbie Night. You must work in a team of two or more people per bench. You must find your own partners. You can connect with other Newbies on the TCGC Newbie Night Facebook page.
Furnace glass, tools and safety glasses are provided. You must provide your own colour and/or frit.
The cold shop is available for finishing your pieces on Mondays 5:00-8:00 pm. 15 minutes of cold shop time per piece is included in your Newbie Night rental.
The cost per bench is $240.00 + GST, and must be booked and paid in advance.